Since 2007, Bill has represented a wide array of clients involved in civil litigation. His primary focus is litigation in the areas of Professional Negligence and Tort Liability. In the area of Professional Negligence, Bill has successfully defended healthcare providers (Physicians, Practice Groups, and Hospitals) and Attorneys. In the area of Tort Liability, Bill has also successfully defended numerous insureds in motor vehicle accidents, trucking negligence, premises liability for hospitals and apartment complexes, and general liability claims for businesses, etc. His experience in these areas has helped him obtain numerous summary dismissals and defense verdicts at trial on behalf of his clients. Bill’s litigation experience also has helped him earn trial verdicts in contract disputes involving physicians’ practice groups, property disputes involving a private airstrip, and contract disputes involving non-compete clauses. Bill’s expertise in litigation has earned recognition from Super Lawyers, which lists him as a Rising Star in the Mid-South, and by the American Society of Legal Advocates, which lists him in the “Top 40 Under 40” for Litigation in Tennessee.
Bill is also active in governmental relations and the legislative process on matters of interest to healthcare providers. He is a member of Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association’s Legislative Committee and is the co-chairman of the Professional Negligence & Healthcare Section. Thus, Bill is uniquely able to advise clients on the changes in the law and in advocating positions of interest to his clients through amicus curiae briefs.
A native of Tullahoma, Bill and his wife, Cassie, and their daughter, Sadie, live in Chattanooga. An avid sports fan, when he is not spending time with Cassie and Sadie, Bill enjoys attending nearly any sporting event, and devotes entirely too little attention to trying to perfect his imperfect golf swing.
Professional Affiliations and honors
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Graduate of Tennessee Bar Association Leadership Law Program (2015)
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Young Lawyer's Division Board Member (2009-2014)
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South Rising Star (2016-Present)
- American Society of Legal Advocates "Top 40 Under 40" for Tennessee Litigation
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Legislative Committee (2016)
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Co-Chairman Professional Negligence & Healthcare Section (2016-Present).
- Tennessee, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Middle Division of Tennessee
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of the South, B.A. in History, Magna Cum Laude, with distinction, 2003
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D. 2007
- Tennessee Law Review: Second Year Editor (2005-2006); Third Year Editor (2006-2007)
- Auto Liability
- Business, Commercial, and Corporate Disputes
- Commercial Transportation and Trucking
- Government Relations
- Insurance Coverage
- Labor and Employment
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability