Gary Allan Cooper began his legal career in 1972 and has practiced continuously since then. Gary was awarded the Herman Hickman Postgraduate Scholarship for Athletes by the University of Tennessee Athletic Department upon entry into law school. While in law school, he was a member of Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity and held offices as the Clerk and Magister of that fraternity at UT.
Gary is admitted to practice before the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, United States Supreme Court, and he has been licensed to practice law in all Florida State Courts since 1981. He is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, The Florida Bar, and Chattanooga Bar Association for which he served a term as a member of its board of directors and chairman of the continuing legal education committee. He is a Fellow of the Chattanooga Bar Foundation.
1n 1977, he authored Tennessee Form for Trial Practice, a form book geared to the Tennessee Rules of Civil Procedure which was published until 2001. In the same year, he wrote Tennessee Law Office Administration. He also wrote Tennessee Forms for Trial-Damages which continues in publication presently as a Thomas Reuters product.
Gary has been listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in American Law, and Who's Who in Emerging Leaders.
He is married to Sally, and they reside in Hixson, TN.
- Tennessee, 1972
- Florida, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee J.D. - 1972
Honors: Herman Hickman Postgraduate Scholarship for Athletes
Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee B.S. - 1969
- University of Tennessee Forms for Trial Practice, Harrison Company, 1977-2001
- Tennessee Forms for Trial Practice-Damages, West, 2008
- Chattanooga Bar Association, Member, 1972 - Present
- Chattanooga Bar Association Board of Governors, 1984 - 1987
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member, 1972 - Present
- Defense Research Institute, Member, 1976 - Present
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Member, 1977 - Present
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member, 1973 - Present
- Fellow, Chattanooga Bar Association, 2014-Present
- Civil Litigation
- Products Liability
- Medical Negligence
- Insurance Defense
Practice Litigation Percentage
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation