David L. Franklin is a Lincoln County, Tennessee native and attended elementary and high school in Blanche, Tennessee. He graduated cum laude from Belmont University in 1968. Following four years of active duty service he was honorably discharged as a 1st Lieutenant from the United States Army where he was a helicopter pilot.
After his military service he attended and graduated from the University of Memphis Law School in 1975 where he was Associate Editor of the Law Review. David obtained an LL.M degree in corporate law from New York University Law School in 1976. He begain his legal career in Chattanooga in 1976 with the firm of Luther, Anderson, Ruth and Cleary where he practiced for almost twenty years. He is a trial lawyer, having tried approximately eighty jury trials in state and federal courts and many more non-jury trials over the years.
He has won approximately 75% of his jury trials which included product liability cases, construction cases, fire cases, and many types of personal injury cases. He has handled appeals in the Tennessee Court of Appeals, the Tennessee Supreme Court and in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati. David has been married to Sandra for 43 years. They have three adult children. He is a long time member and elder at Second Presbyterian Church in Chattanooga.
- Tennessee, 1975
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York L.L.M. - 1976
- University of Memphis School of Law, Memphis, Tennessee J.D. - 1975
Law Review: University of Memphis Law Review, Associate Editor, 1974 - 1975
- Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee B.S. (Cum Laude) - 1968
- Tennessee Bar Association, 1976 - Present
- American Bar Association, 1976 - Present
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member, 1972 - Present
- Defense Research Institute, Member, 1976 - Present
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Luther, Anderson, and Cleary, Partner, 1980 - 1996
- Franklin, Cooper, and Marcus, PLLC, 1996 - 2017
- 75% Personal Injury and Property Damage
- 5% Construction Issues
- 5% Products Liability
- 15% 1st Party Insurance